Am I the only one that can crave chocolate cake so badly that I can literally taste it when I close my eyes? Maybe it is girl thing? My husband has remarked more than once that for the life of him he cannot imagine exactly what this or that would taste like right now. Well, I have been fantasizing about chocolate cake for the larger part of the past week and the occasional Oreo biscuit did not seem to quench the fire.
This morning I decided to use my favourite go-to-chocolate-cake recipe, but halfway through the process decided to add some of my favourite things: peanut butter, a bit of coffee and to top it all: popcorn with a salted caramel sauce. (Please forgive as I do get carried away sometimes.)
I have to admit that the final product was worthy of an applause. Can any of you think of a more decadent, rich combination than chocolate, peanut butter and salted caramel? I THINK NOT. The dark chocolate has an intense taste with a hint coffee, the nuttiness of the peanut butter and the heavenly, salted caramel popcorn, adds a playful touch, making it a firm favorite with children as well.
The chocolate ganache is easy and takes virtually no time to prepare. It has a velvety texture that is slurped up by the cake, resulting in a moist, fine textured cake. It covers the cakes with a beautiful glossy, chocolatey layer that’ll make anyone’s mouth water.
I used some microwave popcorn that I mixed with the caramel sauce, thus not heavy on preparation time. Feel free to add more or less salt to your taste, whilst preparing this super easy sauce.
- 125 ml cocoa powder
- 250 ml hot water
- 10 ml instant coffee
- 4 separated eggs
- 375 ml sugar
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 60 ml peanut butter
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 450 ml flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180° C and spray two 20 cm round cake tins with non-stick spray.
- Add the cocoa powder and the coffee to the hot water and mix till dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs and sugar until light yellow and fluffy.
- Add the oil, cocoa mixture, vanilla and peanut butter and mix in by hand.
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder together into the mixture and gently stir until fully mixed.
- Beat the egg whites till stiff and fold gently into the mixture with a metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture into the two tins and bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Do a skewer test to see if the cake is baked throughout.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Ganache:
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 150 ml fresh cream
- 30 ml peanut butter
- 5 ml butter
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- Place the chocolate, cream, peanut butter and butter in a sauce pan and heat gently, while stirring until the chocolate has melted.
- Add the vanilla and stir.
- Spread a thin layer of ganache onto the first cake and place the second cake on top.
- Now pour the rest of the mixture over the cake spreading it slightly and evenly.
Salted Caramel Popcorn:
- 1 cup of air-popped popcorn
- 60 ml butter
- 60 ml golden syrup
- 60 ml fresh cream
- 2 ml salt
- 2 ml vanilla
- In a saucepan heat the butter and syrup to boiling point.
- Add the cream, salt and vanilla, reduce heat and gently simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the popcorn, gently mix to cover.
- Place on top of the cake.